Subject: Re: thin laptop recommendations
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/2000 13:09:15
ksulliva@psc.edu (Kevin Sullivan) writes:
> I'm in the market for a new laptop, preferably one of the thin ~3 pound
> ones like the superslim Sony Vaios.  Can anyone recommend one which
> behaves well with NetBSD?

Everything from the 2-year old 505f to the just phased out 505ve will
work fine with netbsd and X.  I've got one of the 505ve's in December
and the only bug is the useless winmodem (aka losemodem).
Unfortunately Sony changes their models every 6 months.  The old 0.78"
thick 8"x10" 2.7lb units have all been phased out.

> Aside from NetBSD-compatibility, I'd like one which can be seen in bright
> light.  My current laptop, a Thinkpad 560, washes out very easily.

The 10.5" "XBRITE" display is a bit better than average, but still far
from readable in sunlight.  You still need to find shade to use it.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/