Subject: Re: curses!
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/31/2000 21:51:12
According to Patrick Welche:

>Right again! And now I even have the pretty arrows in mutt

Cool - sort of.  I wonder if your progs were statically linked.  I
think they must have been.

>I even removed all remapping. My impression was that backspace/delete/rubout
>or whatever the options are would give ^H or ^?, whereas I get ^[[3;5~
>This happens with sh and csh in new xterm, not with 1st May xterm.

Like I said, there was an update done to xterm just recently (like in
the last week or so) which may be doing this.  I did see something
about keymaps in the changes.

>Now I'm even more confused: running old lynx in sh worked

Because there was an untruncated TERMCAP env variable that it was
paying attention to.

>. Running freshly
>compiled lynx works everywhere =>

Because you have linked with the newer libraries that ignore a
truncated TERMCAP env variable.

> I think my question on getting this to
>work in csh is irrelevant.

This is still a problem, if it were not for csh barfing then you would
never have had the problem in the first place because I could put some
changes in place that put an expanded TERMCAP into the environment
both via tset and xterm itself.  A problem still remains with xterm
that it rewrites the TERMCAP env variable on the fly, with the current
libraries this variable will be ignored - this leads to some slight
lossage, mostly odd positioning of the cursor when you use tset and
any other mods xterm makes are effectively lost.

I am happy that most of your problems have gone away but I am still
looking for a better way of solving the actual problem...