Subject: Re: Uhm. Is this a feature?
To: Frederick Bruckman <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/2000 18:53:09
On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 03:43:32PM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Tue, 30 May 2000, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> > > Or skip it altogether, then. 'libdes' works fine without the assembly.
> > > Can anyone produce benchmarks that show a clear benefit?
> >
> > When I upgraded libdes I did extensive testing which revealed a significant
> > benefit to using the x86 assembler.  Somehow I've lost some of the context
> > of this discussion -- are you claiming that as of the last time I touched
> > the library, the x86 assembly was producing RRS text relocations?
> I'm not pointing fingers! I'm mainly concerned that i386-current with
> OBJECT_FMT=a.out is broken with the assembly. That's seems to be the
> only impediment to running i386-current with a.out. It's just a wild
> guess that the a.out problem is related to the RRS text relocations;
> it could well be something different. I have no idea.
> All I want to do is build and upload an i386/a.out snapshot. Do you
> have any objection to letting it use the C in the a.out case, only?

Really, I think building a.out snapshots is counterproductive.  It only
guarantees far more confusion when the 1.5 upgrade comes.  But, if you're
dead-set on doing it, no, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able
to use the C versions of the libdes functions.

As I recall those "RRS text relocation error" warnings are bogus.  The
actual problem is that for ELF, the assembler functions need a _ in front
of their names, and for a.out they don't.  Or I may have it the other way
around.  Anyway, what's being "relocated" isn't actually there, since
it's being called by the wrong name...

Thor Lancelot Simon
	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"