Subject: Re: problems with recursive removal of hierarchy that's loopback mounted from NFS
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/2000 22:20:26
On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 11:17:19AM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> This is probably "grounds" for a send-pr, but I thought I'd better check
> here first to see if it's either already known or maybe even fixed.
>
> I have my public FTP directory NFS mounted on my other servers, and then
> I use a loopback mount to put them squarely in /var/spool/ftp/pub on
> each server (so that an anonymous chroot'ed ftp works to any server just
> as it does to the official one).
>
> This seems to work fine except when I do a recursive removal of a
> directory hierarchy.  Some portion of the tree is correctly removed and
> then suddenly "rm" starts reporting "Invalid argument".  Here's an
> example:

[...]

The NFS file system layer is known not to "stack" well (for example,
it has no vnode locking), so null on top of NFS may cause problems.

So, while this does warrant a PR, I don't think this is a problem
for NFS use under normal conditions. Perhaps you can do a ktrace
on the rm -rf process and include it in the PR?

- Frank