Subject: Re: have there been any "recent" resolver fixes?
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/2000 13:41:24
[ On Saturday, May 27, 2000 at 12:51:10 (-0400), Andrew Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: have there been any "recent" resolver fixes?
>
> doors in and of themselves can't be bad simply because of that.  the
> traditional rpc mechanism was udp, with the "redundancy" needed
> supplied by that the rpc mechanism.  would you call udp bad simply
> because it was used to make something you don't like?

No, that's not the point.  However given that I've more or less rejected
by now the very notion of RPC in the first place I'm not likely to be
swayed by a new implementation of it, no matter how much easier it is to
use than Sun's "popular" incarnation of RPC.

What I would like to see is some very fast and very light-weight
abstraction that could be used by VERY large numbers of "clients"
(millions or more) and a single server (or perhaps a small number of
co-operating servers distributed over a cluster of systems, one per
system).  The basic idea of a remote procedure call may be such an
abstraction, but as yet I've not seen any implementation even remotely
light-weight or simple enough to meet my stated requirements.  Solaris
doors certainly doesn't seem to fit any better than the original Sun RPC
does.

--
							Greg A. Woods