Subject: Re: /var/db/pkg
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Greywolf <>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/2000 01:51:47
On Fri, 26 May 2000, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

# Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 10:07:21 +0200
# From: Manuel Bouyer <>
# To: Greywolf <>
# Cc: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>,
# On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 05:38:22PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
# > Nonsense.  You can still share /usr/pkg (if you choose to use /usr/pkg).
# > You just don't give all the machines access to the pkg database, which
# > I don't necessarily see as a downer.
# So you have an incoherent system. pkg_info is supposed to report installed
# package. I see it as a problem is a package is installed but pkg_info doesn't
# says so.

So rdist/rsync your pkg database.  Do it your way.  If I have a collection
of machines sharing /usr/pkg, the only machine on which it is truly
important to be able to run pkg_info would be the server.  That is the way
I prefer to run it.

There is evidently a variable you can set by which you control where your
pkg_db is; use it, but don't force me somewhere down the road to use your
scheme when I'm happy with the status quo.

Change is not necessarily bad; change for change's sake is not
necessarily good.  This is another fine example of IT AIN'T BROKE --

# --
# Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.
# --

BSD:  Write Once, Run Everywhere.  Java Optional.