Subject: Re: /var/db/pkg
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/26/2000 04:48:33
Manuel Bouyer writes:
> On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 05:38:22PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> > Nonsense.  You can still share /usr/pkg (if you choose to use /usr/pkg).
> > You just don't give all the machines access to the pkg database, which
> > I don't necessarily see as a downer.
>
> So you have an incoherent system. pkg_info is supposed to report installed
> package. I see it as a problem is a package is installed but pkg_info doesn't
> says so.

What about packages that touch areas outside of /usr/pkg, /usr/X11R6 and
/var/db/pkg?  Various /etc files or /etc/rc.d/blah perhaps?  Things like
ssh come to mind.  Packages that are installed on a NFS server which
exports /usr/pkg may be broken since critical files are stored outside
of the exported directory.  This may only affect a small number of
packages though. (until packages start using /etc/rc.d)

Would it be a good idea to ensure that all components needed for a
package are installed under /usr/pkg, and then an additional step
is completed that copies or symlinks the files outside of /usr/pkg?
So a normal "pkg_add xyz-1.0" would install into /usr/pkg and then
complete any links or copies.  Subsequently a "pkg_add -c xyz-1.0"
on the client would check/confirm the install, performing any local
copies/links.

In this manner a full pkgsrc build could be completed on the NFS server
and work correctly on the clients.  Assuming the clients are the
same architecture. (for now. )

So:
server# pkg_add *
client# pkg_add -c `pkg_info -e \*`

Or something like that. :-)  Perhaps the check would be part of
pkg_info instead.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.