Subject: Re: difference in key calculations for ssh
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/25/2000 17:27:25
On Thu, 25 May 2000, Andrew Brown wrote:

: >My guess would be for the same reasons rc5des is significantly faster
: >on Intel.  My understanding is that the Intel is much faster at certain
: >instructions (shifts?) that are heavily used by the encryption code.
:
: i dunno if it's shifts...i always figured it was intel being better at
: integer arthmetic than sparcs.

It's bitwise rotates, for one.  SPARCs have no such beasts.

It's also that there is a very highly optimised assembly gmp innards for x86
in ssh.

IIRC, SPARC in ssh uses the C versions of all the gmp stuff....

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)