Subject: Re: problems with iy driver on i486....
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/25/2000 11:26:59
[ On Thursday, May 25, 2000 at 12:08:41 (+0200), Ignatios Souvatzis wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: problems with iy driver on i486....
>
> ----cosinus.cs.uni-bonn.de PING Statistics----
> 340782 packets transmitted, 340782 packets received, 0.0% packet loss
> round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.126/0.134/148.066/0.363 ms
>   6864.2 packets/sec sent,  6864.2 packets/sec received

OK, that packet rate tells me right away that you must have a different
card than I do.  Mine's an Intel 352118-002, i.e. ISA 10baseT only, with
an 82595TX chip.  I wonder what difference that makes....

> It looks to me as if it sometimes would hang for 1 or 2 seconds.
>
> Hm.

Hmmm indeed.  Interesting.

I'll try to find a time when I can swap these cards back in.  I've only
to install a new bootblock and I'll be able to boot from the serial
console and capture the kernel messages and ping output without having
to go multi-user.  I don't really remember any kernel messages but there
were definitely enough complaints from ping that alluded to corrupt
packets and which were followed by hex dumps that even with kernel
messages being a different colour they may have been scrolled off the
screen before I could read them.

Certainly if you have any patches or debug options that you'd like me to
add to my kernel I'll have even more incentive to swap those cards in
and give them another try.

Unfortunately the chassis I'm using doesn't permit me to leave one of
the cards in with the ne2000 clones I'm using for production right now
-- there aren't enough slots without doing some metalwork; and I don't
have enough spare parts just now to build another similar 486 for this
testing.

--
							Greg A. Woods