Subject: Re: Not detecting all the memory in my machine
To: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/24/2000 12:49:28
Johnny C. Lam writes:
> I've a Compaq Prosignia 300 Pentium 150MHz with 80MB of RAM, but only
> 16MB of it are detected by NetBSD/i386.  My kernel was compiled from
> 20000522 sources.  Novell NetWare 4.1 detected all the memory.  Any
> ideas as to why this is?

Do you have the latest bootblock installed?  Is this an EISA machine
by any chance?  It seems to me that a Dell EISA machine here didn't
report the correct amount of RAM either.  I believe this was fixed by
the addition of the 'getextmemx' function in the bootblocks. (way back)

Does a 1.4.2 boot/install floppy recognize all of the RAM?  Worst case
you'll just have to hard code the information via the "REALEXTMEM" option
in the kernel config file.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.