Subject: Re: copying entire directory to another filesystem
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/2000 05:20:36
I always thought you needed the -X option to pax to prevent it from
moving across a mount point...

The example commands will, of course, copy the entire directory from
source to destination.  But if there is a file system mounted somewhere
within the source directory, that whole file system will get copied to
the destination unless you use the -X.

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Tue, 23 May 2000, Thilo Manske wrote:
>
> : > pax -rwpe foo bar
> :
> : Hmm. Does pax deal hardlinks right?
>
> Yes.  This is the best solution when you aren't moving an entire
> filesystem; pax deals with device nodes, symbolic links, hard links, and
> permissions.
>
> --
> -- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)

|   Paul Goyette  | PGP DSS Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:     |
| Network Engineer|  BCD7 5301 9513 58A6 0DBC |  paul@whooppee.com    |
| & kernel hacker |  91EB ADB1 A280 3B79 9221 |  pgoyette@juniper.net |