Subject: Re: bufcache cancer in -current?
To: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 05/23/2000 10:34:11
On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 03:15:16AM +0200, Sean Doran wrote:

> Incidentally, the suffering partition is on
>
> sd1 at scsibus2 target 6 lun 0: <QUANTUM, QM318000TD-SW, N491> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
> sd1: 17366 MB, 8057 cyl, 20 head, 220 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 35566500 sectors
>
> and this drive is one of those wonderful Quantums that have tag
> queueing woes.  The symptom under the old driver: exhaust tags on
> disk, disk gives QUEUE FULL condition, and drive never reconnects.
> Result: hanged disk, no unhang until reboot.

This might be possible, although nothing changed in the ahc driver since
your previous, working kernel (except for some changes I made yesterday,
but those will only make it more conservative, and were after you got
your source).

So it might be a bit early to put the blame there. However, I did put
a printf in the QUEUE FULL case when I checked in those few changes
I made yesterday, so if you update, I'd like to see if you are indeed
hitting that condition.

- Frank