Subject: Re: Mozilla M16
To: None <Dave.Tyson@liverpool.ac.uk>
From: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/22/2000 09:36:04
   On Mon, 22 May 2000, Adam Ciarcinski wrote:

   >> Nightly builds of Mozilla (called M16 although it's not been
   >> released yet) work great on NetBSD -current with the Linux emulation.
   >
   >Brian,
   >
   >I guess we don't need precompiled Mozilla.  We'd like to see Mozilla M16
   >compiled from the source code in NetBSD package form.
   >
   >Do others agree with me?

   I had a try at compiling the (friday) source snapshot over the w/end.
   Some of the Makefile.in's seem inconsistent in setting the NO_STATIC_LIB
   and NO_SHARED_LIB overrides and so it failed building some components
   which expected to see a static library rather than a dynamic one. I
   eventually ran out of disk space and enthusiasm for fixing the broken
   components. I'll try again when I get a bigger disk !

   Dave

   Dave Tyson                      Phone: 0151-794-3731
   Computing Services Dept         Fax:   0151-794-3759
   The University of Liverpool     Email: dtyson@liv.ac.uk
   Chadwick Building               Web:   http://www.liv.ac.uk/~dtyson
   Peach Street                    Public Domain OS: see www.netbsd.org
   Liverpool  L69 7ZF
   United Kingdom

I have been trying off and on for months to get any recent version of
Mozilla compiled on one of my NetBSD/i386/a.out system with no particular
success.

On that platform, everything does get compiled, but it drops core when it
goes to register its components when an invalid pointer is passed to
strlen().  Further, the stack trace is mugged pretty bad and it isn't
really possible to follow it back.

I suspect either a compiler, optimizer or a.out bug.  The FreeBSD folk
apparently have it working, but I don't think the OpenBSD folk do.

I have not tried compiling it up on any other platform.

Brad Spencer - brad@anduin.eldar.org   http://anduin.eldar.org
[finger brad@anduin.eldar.org for PGP public key]