Subject: Re: Performance Problem: malloc() is calling madvise()
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/20/2000 17:20:32
On Sun, May 21, 2000 at 01:06:58AM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:

> When the new malloc was introduced, it was noted that it handled memory
> usage better and was faster too.  That was when the madvise() call did
> nothing...

Um, just *when* was it noted that it was "faster"?  It was never faster; it
can't have been faster; it will never be as fast; the old malloc was a totally
mindless powers-of-two allocator, which is about as fast as you can get.

On the other hand, it's my point of view that applications which perform
significantly worse with the current malloc are in many cases poorly designed;
they should manage their memory allocation themselves to a much greater
extent rather than calling malloc for 3 bytes all the time.  If you take this
as a criticism of C++ itself, you'd be pretty much on-target.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"