Subject: -current kernel panic'ing on shutdown
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/13/2000 16:40:15
Folks,
        I have this current:

NetBSD siren 1.4X NetBSD 1.4X (SIREN) #11: Mon May  8 17:55:41 CST 2000     root@:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/SIREN i386

which is about a week old.  I have noticed on a couple of occaisions I
get a panic when I halt the system - it has happened twice to me in
the last 10 or so halts.  I get this panic message:

panic: pmap_unwire: invalid (unmapped) VA
stopped in ntpd at <blah blah blah>

Both times it has happened the process has been ntpd.  The second time
I managed to get a core dump, viz:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x4 in ?? ()
#1  0xc02b228d in cpu_reboot ()
#2  0xc013a7af in db_reboot_cmd ()
#3  0xc013a3ae in db_command ()
#4  0xc013a5ab in db_command_loop ()
#5  0xc013daba in db_trap ()
#6  0xc02aec08 in kdb_trap ()
#7  0xc02bd160 in trap ()
#8  0xc0100ce5 in calltrap ()
#9  0xc02aecf4 in cpu_Debugger ()
#10 0xc0170c7a in panic ()
#11 0xc02ba742 in pmap_unwire ()
#12 0xc0297f83 in uvm_fault_unwire_locked ()
#13 0xc029f378 in uvm_map_entry_unwire ()
#14 0xc029bd45 in uvm_unmap_remove ()
#15 0xc029aeb3 in uvm_unmap ()
#16 0xc02a8898 in uvm_deallocate ()
#17 0xc01593ad in exit1 ()
#18 0xc01591f6 in sys_exit ()
#19 0xc02bd8e0 in syscall ()
#20 0xc0100d91 in syscall1 ()
can not access 0xbfbfdc14, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
can not access 0xbfbfdc14, invalid translation (invalid PDE)
Cannot access memory at address 0xbfbfdc14.

unfortunately, not too useful since I did not have DEBUG in the kernel
options.  I have rebuilt the kernel with debugging on in the hope of
getting some quality info....