Subject: Re: Doomed efforts.
To: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 05/11/2000 10:47:04
On Thu, May 11, 2000 at 06:32:49PM +1000, Giles Lean wrote:

> I've tried StarOffice under Linux*; when saving a file in MS Word format
> it loses comments, even comments that were in the file in the first
> place that it read in just fine!  "Oops".
>
> I'll be interested to see how StarOffice improves, but for now I
> regard it as read-only.

The 5.2 betas that are available now are a lot better with regard to
MS fileformats. 5.1 often lost for me in a way similar to what you
describe (example: create a very simple presentation (header and some
bullets), save in PowerPoint format, read it back, and the bullets
are gone). So far I have only found minor problems with MS fileformats
in 5.2, it seems to have improved a lot.

I have not yet tried to run the Linux version under emulation.

- Frank