Subject: Re: v6 (was Re: -current sendmail cancer in IPv4-only kernel)
To: Sean Doran <smd@sean.ebone.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/09/2000 22:45:05
    Date:        09 May 2000 00:18:16 +0200
    From:        Sean Doran <smd@sean.ebone.net>

  | The variable length addresses were also a great feature,
  | although the maximum length was too short.

This isn't the place to debate the myths of variable length addressing.

  | I know you were there, but my memory is a little
  | different.  What killed TUBA was the combination of [....]

I don't disagree with anything you say, other than the suggestion
that it is a lot different than what I was saying.

  | The alignment canard was absolutely destroyed by Tony Li's
  | FPGA demo.

If the only places that forwarding speed matters were in high end
routers with FPGAs, ASICs, and similar, there would be more merit
to that argument.  But fast routing (if not *that* fast) is
desired by other systems too - like the average box running NetBSD,
and what Tony is able to get a FPGA to do, isn't all that is relevant.

kre