Subject: Re: unable to make build
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <joe@js1.jsnet>
List: current-users
Date: 05/08/2000 14:23:20

> > Joseph Sarkes <joe@js1.jsnet> writes:
> > > Something is still not quite right with the KERNOBJ changes
> > > yet. If I manually copy the file, will I be able to make
> > > build again?
> > >
> > > Build started at: Wed May  3 20:33:06 EDT 2000
> > > (cd /usr/src/etc && make DESTDIR=/ distrib-dirs)
> > > "Makefile", line 261: Could not find bsd.kernobj.mk
> > > Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> > > *** Error code 1
> >
> > did you "cd /usr/src; make build" FIRST?

yes, that was the command I was trying to use...

> > There is no guarantee that you'll have all the needed include or make
> > files in place if you don't "make build" each time.

The make files didn't get updated properly in /usr/share/mk. to fix
this, I just copied them all manually from the /usr/src/share/mk
into /usr/share/mk. This fixed a different problem with building the
libposix shared library. Somehow the make files weren't being copied
properly at the begining of the make... is this broken now?

> Last time I looked, "make build" does not do a "make obj" first.  So you
> have to run "make obj" manually or new subdirs will get their objects put
> in the wrong place.  Of course, before you can do "make obj" you need to
> make sure that /usr/share/mk is up-to-date.

There is a thing you can put into /etc/mk.conf that will do a make obj
for you with a make build. Something like MKOBJDIRS=yes MKOBJ=yes. I think
that one of these is a default and you only need the other. You then get
a make obj each time you do a make build.

--
Joseph Sarkes		jsarkes@tiac.net