Subject: Re: amanda and filesystems bigger than tape
To: None <woods@weird.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 05/05/2000 00:18:44
> > Does amanda not handle using multiple tapes for a single fs?
>
> Nope.  It's been on their todo list for a long time and they've been
> inviting implementations....   :-)

I suspect its not going to be trivial to retro-fit something like
that.  I might have to look at it - I was thinking of making bigger
fs's using RAIDframe...

I read an article years ago in a LISA proceedings about DJ (dump jokey)
which among other things provided a virtual tape device of infinite
length - implemented using multiple ansi labled tapes.  At the time I
was interested (hadn't heard of amanda back then), postgres wasn't up
to handling the SQL, that's probably changed now. Anyone used DJ?

I think the virtual tape device is the neatest solution.
Now to find some time... ;-)

--sjg