Subject: Re: Posible virc(8) implementation
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Aaron Bamford <sab@ansic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 05/04/2000 17:59:57
On Thu, 4 May 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:

>[ On Thursday, May 4, 2000 at 07:58:08 (+0200), Dr. Rene Hexel wrote: ]
>> Subject: Re: Posible virc(8) implementation
>>

>>   Why not have virc create a 'virtual' rc.conf (i.e., some mkstemp()
>> filename) that can be edited and then is re-distributed into rc.conf.d/
>> ?  This way, chances of people using the wrong editor on the wrong
>> config file are a lot smaller!
>
>This is certainly what I expected such a command to do.  I don't know
>what prompted the other convoluted and error-prone idea.

thats really what happens, i just saved the results to /etc/rc.conf rather than
remove them.  as i think everyone has pointed out to me, thats a very confusing
thing to do.

>>  We could even install an rc.conf file
>> that says "this file is obsolete, please use virc to edit system
>> configuration".
>
>Yup.
>
>>   The only thing I can think of, that's not handled by this method are
>> additional config parameters that are contained in none of the
>> rc.conf.d/* files.  However, these could easily moved to some
>> rc.conf.d/config.default (or whatever) file.  IMHO this is far less
>> error-prone than having an rc.conf around that duplicates all config
>> variables and can be too easily changed using vi.
>
>Agreed.

agreed too, and rc.conf.d/config.template or rc.conf.d/config.layout to
cover the other thing my proposal used rc.conf for (knowing how to peice
the file to be edited together in a way thats more than vi rc.conf.d/*).

Another thing sugested to me was maybe, since rc.conf file is not used, there
is no use to have the -s flag, but perhaps i could just reverse the order it does things (ie take a real rc.conf and split its values up into the right place).
This would only be to help peoples first time transit from non-rc.d to rc.d.

>--
>							Greg A. Woods
>
>+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
>Planix, Inc. <woods@planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods@weird.com>