Subject: Re: Nice 20 process running despite needed CPU time
To: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@mabelode.imrryr.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/02/2000 02:54:01
Bjoern Labitzke wrote:

>To summarize: Processes with a nice value of 20 don't get CPU cycles, if
>processes with values <=0 need them, _unless_ one or more processes with a
>value between 1 and 18 are using cycles as well.
>
>It seems to me, that this behaviour is not correct. If it is the intended
>behaviour, the setpriority man page should be changed appropriatly. Or do I
>miss something?

I tried this with busy loops on alpha and I couldn't reproduce your results,
are you sure that lame isn't being niced to 4 because of its accumulated CPU
time?

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==