Subject: heads-up: switchovr to ntp 4.0.99i
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/2000 18:05:05
After prolonged work and prestesting of several versions of ntp
4.0.xx, NetBSD is about to deprecate the old xntp 3.x code, and cut
over to an NTP4 release -- ntp 4.0.99i.

This means several user-visible changes:
	* /usr/sbin/xntp* comands are replaced with  /usr/sbin/ntp*
        * rd.d/xntpd will become rc.d/ntpd

	* The old xntp3 libraries, /usr/lib/libntp.* (both .a and
	  shared libs) are obsolete.    So few commands use this library
	  that it saves space to link the library into commands that
	  need it,  and not ship the library.  (I think we've
	  already notified everyone developing sw outside the ntp
	  distribution which used libntp of this).

At some point in the very near future, we'll edit
/usr/src/{lib,usr.sbin}/Makefile to stop making the xntpd library and
userland, and enable usr/src/usr.sbin/ntp.  The rc.d scripts will
change at about that time.

Old xntpd config files that worked before should continue to work
as-is.  However, the new ntpd has several enhancments (e.g,. working
multicast support) which may make it worthwhile revisting your /etc/ntp.conf.
The original HTML docs are included as part of the ntp4 upgrade.

We have no plans to provide a "secr" version of ntp 4.0: the old DES
keys are deprecated. (According to Dave Mills, they don't work on
cross-endian setups anyway). Anyone using DES keys for NTP is
recommended to switch to MD5 keys.