Subject: Re: sendmail and netbsd
To: None <andrew@crossbar.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/2000 17:49:45
Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net> writes:
> now...getting back to my original question: can someone cite specific
> portions of the sendmail licence and explain why they're not
> compatible with netbsd's goals?

From /usr/src/gnu/dist/sendmail/LICENSE:

1. Redistributions qualify as "freeware" or "Open Source Software" under
   one of the following terms:

   (a) Redistributions are made at no charge beyond the reasonable cost of
       materials and delivery.

   (b) Redistributions are accompanied by a copy of the Source Code or by an
       irrevocable offer to provide a copy of the Source Code for up to three
       years at the cost of materials and delivery.  Such redistributions
       must allow further use, modification, and redistribution of the Source
       Code under substantially the same terms as this license.  For the
       purposes of redistribution "Source Code" means the complete source
       code of sendmail including all modifications.

   Other forms of redistribution are allowed only under a separate royalty-
   free agreement permitting such redistribution subject to standard
   commercial terms and conditions.  A copy of such agreement may be
   obtained from Sendmail, Inc. at the above address.

This is "encumbering" in the same way that the GPL is considered
"encumbering" by NetBSD.  For a fuller explanation of why this is so, see:

	http://www.netbsd.org/Goals/redistribution.html

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/