Subject: Re: sendmail and netbsd
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 05/01/2000 00:37:09
On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 12:21:45AM -0400, Andrew Brown wrote:
> >It *is* allowed in the tree.
> >
> >It's just in gnusrc because it has a different license now which is,
> >from the perspective of NetBSD, roughly equivalent to the GPL.
>
> i looked a little more gpl-ish to me, as opposed to the bsd licence it
> used to have.
>
> so how come we jumped from 8.8.8 to 8.9.3 with no intervening
> integrations?  and what objections might others have to sendmail being
> in a release tree?

I think sendmail's a piece of crap.  It's ancient, it's been fixed with
bailing wire and prayer about a thousand times too many, its performance
is awful, its configuration syntax is obtuse, and the only reason I know
of that most people even considered using it as long as they did was that
there was no reasonable alternative.

Postfix looks like a pretty darned reasonable alternative to me, but
unfortunately while we failed to include it in our OS, and thus lost
whatever leverage we might have had, its license became unacceptable,
too.

What it boils down to is that there's *no* acceptably-licensed, modern
mailer available.  Given that sendmail's license is among the most
objectionable, and its quality is so low, I wish we would ship just
about anything *else*...