Subject: re: build whacked from change?
To: Chuck McManis <>
From: matthew green <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/2000 19:12:15
   I'm still curious why other BSDs don't see this issue with ld but between
   your fix and mine I'm building again.

OK, here's the deal.

originally, mycroft changed this to use -R$DESTDIR/usr/lib, because he
was seeing problems with build-time linkage of `make build' while
cross compiling, because the linker was also looking in /usr/lib (or
something).  the problem is that -R causes the resulting binary to
contain this path, which is very much not wanted and has the potential
for serious lossage that using a $DESTDIR is supposed to avoid.  the
solution to this is to use -rpath-link, the path of which is only used
at link-time, and is not written into the binary.  old NetBSD ld had
"support" for -rpath, and this support caused it to accept a -rpath-link
option, but it did not also notice the argument passed.  (i will note
that old NetBSD ld does not support the -rpath or -rpath-link options
truly, it merely accepts them and moves on, "hoping that
will cover our sins".  this is gross and disgusting but so is using that
vintage ld(1) in NetBSD :-).