Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d evaluation.
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/2000 00:22:35
On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:

# OOPS, no, that might not quite work -- Xstartup is only run after the
# user authenticates successfully (i.e. long after the X server is already
# running).  Hmmm... perhaps it's just as easy to wrap the Xserver itself
# with a little script that uses ttylock to kick getty off the console
# while X11 runs....

No, this is not correct either.  The correct behaviour would be to
have xdm -- or at least xconsole -- hold off until the getty goes, rather
than trying to stop the getty from running.  I'd like to be able to
hit ^R to stop my server and go to a getty right there, i.e. start typing,
instead of waiting for init to figure out that Oh X Has Died I Think I'll
Start A Getty There Now.  i.e. what I was able to do before rc.d fscked
it all up.

If you have this sort of thing dependent on a program, let alone a script,
if xdm suddenly vanishes or gets kill -KILLd, you're pretty much up the
creek with no grease.

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: SIMMs Like Good Code.