Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d evaluation.
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/2000 00:03:37
[ On Wednesday, April 26, 2000 at 09:02:27 (+1000), Simon Burge wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d evaluation.
>
> erh@nimenees.com wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 01:29:41PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> > > 7.  xdm (again) still manages to start before rc is done, thus
> > > 	causing getty to start AFTER the xconsole pops up.  Getty then
> > > 	thinks that /dev/console is in use and complains every 30 seconds
> > > 	about restarting too quickly.
> >   This would require some changes to init to start some stuff before
> > gettys run and some stuff after.  This shouldn't be too hard, just need
> > to define something.  How about init runs /etc/rc again but gives it an
> > "aftergetty" argument?
>
> As Ignatios Souvatzis mentioned, the amiga handles this ``properly'' by
> having the X server shut out getting while it's running.  Ultrix has the
> same behaviour - someone with wscons knowledge needs to whack on it to
> fix it.  I'm not a NetBSD X user - someone else want to file a PR who
> has seen this behaviour?

This isn't a "new-to-rc.d" problem -- I experience it almost every other
time I boot my sparcstation too.

If there are multiple virtual consoles (ala wscons on a PC) then there's
no need to run getty on the "console" where xdm starts the X server.
Problem solved.

However on something that doesn't use multiple virtual consoles, then
yes the correct behaviour would be to block 'getty' (eg. in the same way
'uugetty' blocks when 'uucico' is dialing out on a port) so that the X
server can completely take over the console hardware.

I think this could easily be managed by implementing ttylock(1) and
calling it as appropriate from the scripts specified by the XDM
'DisplayManager*setup' and 'DisplayManager*reset'configuration
parameters.

I keep meaning to try this but usually when my primary workstation
reboots I'm too busy trying to get back to work to bother with any
experiments of this nature....

OOPS, no, that might not quite work -- Xstartup is only run after the
user authenticates successfully (i.e. long after the X server is already
running).  Hmmm... perhaps it's just as easy to wrap the Xserver itself
with a little script that uses ttylock to kick getty off the console
while X11 runs....

--
							Greg A. Woods