Subject: re: build whacked from bsd.prog.mk change?
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/26/2000 12:52:41
i have commited a fix to the old ld for this; i had only tested that
it had an "-rpath-link" option, not that it took an argument as well.

   I fixed it by changing it to -Wl,"-rpath-link $DESTDIR/usr/lib" since "-Wl"
   is "pass this to the linker" but in order to pass an option that itself
   takes and argument you have to protect it by quotes.

actually, that passes the "-rpath-link $DESTDIR/usr/lib" option to the
linker, as a single option... this is wrong, but it works by chance :)
the `-Wl,foo,bar' syntax means pass foo and then bar as (separate
options to ld.

   Don't know if this is the correct fix but it works for now. What is pretty
   clear is that the system won't build as it is currently written. Anyone can
   verify this by using -m /usr/src/share/mk to their build command. (Which I
   do by default now in my build script since this kind of thing isn't exactly
   rare :-))

you should probably remove this now; the build system (`make build') now
knows when it has installed /usr/share/mk and will use it (even if it has
installed those into a $DESTDIR).

sorry about this folks.