Subject: Re: Quake 3 under Linux emulation
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2000 21:15:17
> I have an nVidia TNT2.  I really don't think about "decent performance".
> The only real criteria is "was the game fun"?  So far, the answer is yes.
> Heretic 2, also...

It's not as fun if the framerate is unacceptable when you move too fast...

> I am sure that both would be faster if better GLX drivers existed and
> better transport between the X client and X server existed.  Since neither
> of those are optimized greatly [yet??] I am not going to worry that
> aspect.

I also have an AGP TNT2 (16M), nVidia is (supposedly) working on drivers
for XFree86 4.0 that support DRI (none of that transport bottleneck, just
straight graphics). I just hope that they actually do release them,
although I'm not sure if they will (since they're now in bed with MS, but
that's another story).

This leads me to another question... does NetBSD take advantage of the AGP
bus? Or is the card still performing like a PCI card?

Jared