Subject: Re: mozilla maintainer wanted
To: Brad Spencer <>
From: Stephen Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2000 12:20:15

Hmm, perhaps you are right and they need to be higher:

schizo# ulimit -a
time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
coredump(blocks)     0
data(kbytes)         32768
stack(kbytes)        1024
lockedmem(kbytes)    18666
memory(kbytes)       56000
nofiles(descriptors) 64
processes            80

I really should have thought of that.  I'll bump them and see if I can
get further.  Thanks a bunch...

Brad Spencer wrote:

>    I seem to have gotten fairly far on the NetBSD/macppc side by creating
>    symlinks from "lib*.so" to the "lib*.so.1.0" everytime it stops like this
>    and then starting "gmake" again(kind of tedious though).  I noticed
>    a variable in the configure script, "NEED_BASE_DLL_NAME_ALSO",
>    that seems to be supposed to address this, but it doesn't occur in any
>    of the Makefiles.  Setting it seems to make no difference.
>    Anyway, my efforts seem to be stymied by lack of memory:
>    nsHTMLAttributes.o: could not read symbols: Memory exhausted
>    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>    gmake[2]: *** [] Error 1
>    gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/mozilla/layout/build'
>    gmake[1]: *** [install] Error 2
>    gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/mozilla/layout'
>    gmake: *** [install] Error 2
>    This kind of seems odd, though as I have 64MB of real memory, of which top
>    claims 47MB are free.  I also have plenty of free swap:
>    schizo# swapctl -l
>    Device      1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Priority
>    /dev/sd1b      132462        0   132462     0%    0
>    This is on NetBSD 1.4X from the April 15 tar files.
>    Steve
>    p.s.  I also wound up forcing the "NO_LD_ARCHIVE_FLAGS" variable
>        in configure as otherwise I wound up with "undefined reference" errors
>        on linking.  Not sure what is up there.
> I'v never seen anything like the above on NetBSD/i386 when trying to do
> the builds.  What is the user process limits on the user that is
> attempting to build Mozilla???
> Brad Spencer -
> [finger for PGP public key]

org:Netscape Communications Corp.;Internal Computing
adr:;;501 E. Middlefield Rd.;Mountain View;CA;94043;USA
title:UNIX Systems Administrator
fn:Stephen Brown