Subject: Re: mozilla maintainer wanted
To: Brad Spencer <brad@anduin.eldar.org>
From: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/25/2000 11:56:57
[Apologies if this conversation is already irrelevant, we've just had a
 four-day holiday weekend in the UK & I haven't caught up with all the
 mail :-)]

> I have been trying to get the current mozilla source to build on
> NetBSD/i386 with no real luck.  It compiles, but drops core trying to
> register its components.  There may be code-gen bugs or a problem with the
> mozilla source.

Funny you should mention this...

I spent the better part of the weekend trying to get the current Mozilla
source to compile on NetBSD/Sparc, with even less success than you :-(.

The problem seems to be in

  xpcom/tools/registry

Trying to link gives "Cannot open -lxpcom: No such file or directory"

This was with static libraries enabled.  Without statics, it whinges
about (from memory, an error something like) 'mixed relocation types'
when linking...

Trying to build it on -current NetBSD/i386 is currently giving the same
problems.

> If I ever happen upon a solution I'll send it along, but I am not hopeful
> for anything in the near future.

As will I, but I don't hold out a great deal of hope either.

> There appears to be a FreeBSD port in the Mozilla tinderbox that is often
> times green, but I have not tried it, and the Linux version of Netscape 6,
> based on the Mozilla source seems to work.

For what it's worth, the ancient pkgsrc/www/mozilla package compiles
on 1.4.2 NetBSD/sparc, but dumps core on startup.  I couldn't be bothered
to find out why, preferring to concentrate on the newer version!

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Tim Walls