Subject: Re: run levels (was Re: The new rc.d stuff...)
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2000 10:57:45
In message <87u2grh50d.fsf@snark.piermont.com>, "Perry E. Metzger" writes:
>I've never seen run levels used the way you mention it. Never. Period.
>Zippo. I've never even heard of it anecdotally from anyone
>else. Unless you can give me a concrete example of a place that
>actually uses them, I am disinclined to belive in them.

I can't speak for *large* places, but:

	* Amiga SVR4 used 2 for multiuser, 3 for multiuser + network
	* other users have been reported using 2 for multiuser, 3 for
	  multiuser + network, 4 for multiuser + network + NFS exports,
	  and perhaps 5 for XDM running

>You can claim, of course, that I'm just imposing my tastes on the
>world and that I'm not omniscient. That's true. However, NetBSD is
>very much a meritocracy of taste. We don't add everything -- we add
>things very much based on our sense of aesthetics and
>quality. Therefore, subjective judgments are sometimes needed, and
>I'd say in this case, the general consensus is that runlevels are lame.

Runlevels, as they exist in SVR4, are probably lame, but the only real problem
is a shoddy implementation, and the lack of namespace.

Fix those, and you've got a feature I would personally love to have.

-s