Subject: Re: run levels (was Re: The new rc.d stuff...)
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <>
From: Perry E. Metzger <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2000 10:22:50
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <> writes:
> "Perry E. Metzger" <> writes:
> > Given rcorder, we've substantially improved on the original idea.
> Is this something no UNIX had before NetBSD?

I thought of rcorder and wrote the code about two years ago, when I
gave it to Matt (who gave it to Luke). It is possible that the idea
appeared earlier than that in another OS, but I'm not consciously
aware of it.

> A few months ago, when I first suggested that something like rcorder
> be added to the system, my suggestion included a related feature that
> I still think would be a good idea: make it possible to run an rc.d
> script to shut down a service, and have everything that depends on
> that service (or on something that depends on it) be stopped first.

The current shutdown system has a primitive version of this -- it
reverses the order of the rc scripts. If you can come up with a
cleaner/better mechanism that actually tracks what is up and what
depends on what, I'm sure people would like it, or at least like to
evaluate it...

Perry Metzger
"Ask not what your country can force other people to do for you..."