Subject: Re: run levels (was Re: The new rc.d stuff...)
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@kpnQwest.no>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2000 09:56:27
"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> writes:

> Given rcorder, we've substantially improved on the original idea.

Is this something no UNIX had before NetBSD?  If so, it should be
"marketed" a bit, I guess.

A few months ago, when I first suggested that something like rcorder
be added to the system, my suggestion included a related feature that
I still think would be a good idea: make it possible to run an rc.d
script to shut down a service, and have everything that depends on
that service (or on something that depends on it) be stopped first.
The other way around, starting a service should start anything it
depends on (in the right order) before actually starting it.  This
would mean keeping track of what's been started, and what hasn't, I
guess.  In my opinion, the result would be a real implementation of
what System V run levels are trying to do, but don't do well enough to
be useful.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"