Subject: Making bootable Sparc CDs
To: current-users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/19/2000 07:05:24
Can someone shed some light on this for me?

I'm trying to create a bootable CD on a Sparc IPX system under
1.4.2_ALPHA.  I've created an ISO disk image file of the 1.4.2 tree using
mkhybrid.  That works fine, and the resulting CD is mountable and usable
with various systems, so I decided to try any make it bootable on the
Sparc just like the Comdex CD.  I built mksunbootcd and run it specifying
the ISO disk image file for the first argument and the syboot-142.fs file
in the NetBSD-1.4.2 tree as the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th arguments.  It
appears to correctly write the Sun partition table - I've dumped the
first block on both my new CD and on the Comdex CD and they appear
similar.  But when I try to boot the new CD I get a "Data Exception"
error from the boot ROM.  The Comdex CD boots fine but my new CD doesn't,
so I know it's not the CD drive.

Does anyone here know what magic step I missed?  I'd appreciate any
insight, hints, ideas, comments, etc.

Thanks,
-bob