Subject: Re: Getting new rc.d info
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/16/2000 23:22:54
[ On Thursday, April 13, 2000 at 19:02:27 (-0500), erh@nimenees.com wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Getting new rc.d info
>
> 	yep.  I've got a couple scripts to help transfering /etc
> config stuff over.  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/etc_update/*
> No docs, but esentially you want to unpack the new etc to someplace
> other than /etc and the scripts might help you move your config over.

I think you meant:  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/erh/etc_update/*

For what it's worth there was a PR in the FreeBSD GNATS database
offering a much more sophisticated script to assist with this job for
some time (called "etcud", from PR#5147, that I renamed "etcupd").  I
hacked on an older version of it a while ago and it suited me just fine
but I've not yet had time to clean it up and post it anywhere.

That FreeBSD PR was closed when a program called "mergemaster" by
Douglas Barton was added to the FreeBSD core distribution.  I haven't
tried it yet but it seems to be a bit more agressive.

I've since had a couple of ideas that might be even better.

Anyone not using RCS in /etc would likely benefit greatly from something
along these lines (as I sometimes forget to do, not that using RCS
alone is any massive help all on its own with this job; beyond the
documentation it provides, of course).

--
							Greg A. Woods