Subject: Re: The new rc.d stuff...
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/16/2000 17:23:36
On Sun, 16 Apr 2000, John Nemeth wrote:

# On Aug 24,  5:01pm, Robert Elz wrote:
[ testing for stuff to have been predefined and, if not defined, define it. ]
#
#      I'm not sure I like this idea.  Not only does it spread
# configuration information all over the place, but it puts the same
# configuration information in multiple places.  One of the first things
# you learn in database design, is that you put a single piece of data in
# one place and replicate it as necessary.  The problem with this design
# is that I have to look in multiples places to figure out how things are
# configured, and I have to keep in mind which location takes
# precedence.  This will really complicate system maintence.  Of course,
# as you say, I can use whatever method I want.  The problem would mainly
# happen when I have to solve a crisis on a system maintained by somebody
# else (mind you, inexperienced system administrators can produce all
# sorts of "interesting" situations).

This is why I had suggested warnings if conflicting config information
had been defined, as well as a way to configure which setting would
override the other.

John, you look like you've had the same experiences I have -- I can't
count your years, so I don't know for sure, but mine have stretched across
the last sixteen years.

I respect Robert's opinion, and, in fact, his suggestion triggered me to
flesh it out a bit more.  Hopefully we will have the ability to select
which config method will take precedence.

The battle for a non-split /etc/rc is more or less lost (I intend to
provide a fix soon).  The battle for a non-split rc.conf is not
yet decided, and there will be proponents from both sides.  I will main-
tain that a flexible solution to the rc.conf problem is more workable than
is a solution to the rc problem.  I will also maintain that the flexible
rc.conf solution will allow more control of what happens on a box as far
as configuration goes.

If a hammer decision is made to split rc.conf to the four winds, NetBSD
will have completely lost its sanity.  I am hoping that the rc.conf
designer will take this into account.

# }-- End of excerpt from Robert Elz

				--*greywolf;
--
Microsoft:  Living proof that Borg screw Ferengi.