Subject: Re: FTP shouldn't use .netrc for URL fetches?
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/2000 18:37:55
>So, should the URL always be of the form :
>(which works), or should ftp ignore ~/.netrc for URL fetches?

on a different (but related) note, i've always wondered why ftp does a
cwd for each path component before doing the retr.  why not simply
retr /pub/incoming/blymn/edit.tar.gz?  yes, i know that if i ftp in
manually and "get /pub/incoming/blymn/edit.tar.gz" ftp will try to
store it in a file of the same name (which will of course fail if i
can't write to my local /pub/incoming/blymn directory), but it's
simple enough to just "get /pub/incoming/blymn/edit.tar.gz