Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: Todd Whitesel <>
From: Greywolf <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/2000 09:07:52
On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, Todd Whitesel wrote:

# > In any case I'm fairly sure that anyone who spends even a relatively
# > small amount of time using a system in single-user mode will quickly
# > come to appreciate having the stuff in the /usr hierarchy permanently
# > mounted.
# There are only two things I would move from /usr to / :
# 	1. the chown/chmod commands that /dev/MAKEDEV wants to use

chown *used* to live in /etc; why it got moved to /_usr_/sbin, I don't
know.  Should have stayed in /sbin.

# 	2. vi

Wimp!  All True UNIX Administrators know how to use ed relatively

:-) :-) :-) :-)

# If it were not for these, I would never feel any need to "mount /usr" in
# single-user mode.

The only time I ever feel the need to mount /usr in single-user mode
is by letting rc do it, i.e.:

NetBSD# sh /etc/rc

[in debugging mode if I happen to tweak something.]

But That's Just Me [TM].  I realise that there are others beneath, beside
and beyond my own experiences.

For those who are beneath my experience, i.e. I've been there:  Learn 'ed'
	to at least a nominal level in case the disk that /usr lives on
	goes away.

For those who are beside my experience, i.e. I'm there:  You hopefully know
	what I'm talking about.  'vi' is convenient but maintenance using
	'ed' is actually possible.

For those who are beyond my experience, i.e. I'll get there:  You can
	breathe commands in 'ed' without really thinking since it's
	something you've had to do often enough already.

# Todd Whitesel
# toddpw @

BSD: You can't handle it.