Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/2000 11:07:24
On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 12:01:40PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > Um, "No".  /etc/services is configuration information.
> Unless you're running on a different network than I am then
> /etc/services is *not* configuration information.  It's just a better
> format from the computer's point of view than the actual text of RFC1700
> (or whateer the current list is published as).

Depends on what you're doing. It's not uncommon at all in an Oracle
environment to make additions to /etc/services to define sockets for
database server instances for each database. I believe other DBMS systems do
this, as well.

It may not be configuration information in your environment, but it is in
others.