Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/2000 10:44:19
Simon Burge writes:

> Since dump(8) can dump just a single directory, you both win :-)
>
> 	alpha:~ 5# df /etc
> 	Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> 	/dev/wd0a      990582   410862   530190    43%    /
>
> 	alpha:~ 6# dump 0f /tmp/foo /etc
> 	  DUMP: Dumping sub files/directories from /
> 	  DUMP: Dumping file/directory /etc
> 	[ ... ]

Hmm, why don't we change '/' to reside on a LFS while we're at it?
After all there are some performance advantages, and who _really_ needs
crufty old FFS anymore anyway?  I don't see any reason a sane person
wouldn't want a unified '/' and '/usr' sitting on a nice LFS partition.
Probably the only reason Ken & Dennis didn't do it this way is because
they hadn't realized it was the only sane way to do it.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | NetBSD ist Affengeil.
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | Nachts ist es kaelter
I speak for myself, not for my employer.  | als draussen.

PS. If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have read this. :-)