Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2000 23:52:48
On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:

# > Actually, given that, I still tend to prefer / and /usr separate - mostly
# > because of password files.  / can be backed up easily, /usr takes a while
# > and doesn't really have data.
#
# This is certainly a valid concern, though as I'll try to demonstrate it
# isn't really something you should have to worry about.

This is not a valid concern FOR YOU.  You keep extrapolating that it
should not be a valid concern for anyone.  Quit it.

# Personally I'm reasonably pleased that most of what's in /etc these days
# (on *BSD) is just configuration files and user-configurable scripts,
# etc. [it would be nice to move some databases, such as /etc/services
# (which I consider to be commonly immutable), to /usr/share].

Um, "No".  /etc/services is configuration information.  It doesn't belong
in /usr/share, any more than /etc/networks or /etc/hosts does.  I know of
several sites which tend to munge that file for local modifications because
of local software.

# This means
# of course that one can generally get away with backing up just /etc (and
# maybe /root if you happen to keep anything in there) using a
# file-by-file backup method.

Thanks.  I'll take dump(8).

# A careful pedant (such as myself :-) will
# usually arrange to have all add-on configuration files under /etc too,
# such as /etc/X11/{xdm,xfs}, etc.  So, backing up / without /usr still
# isn't really an issue, at least not for me....

"...at least not for me...."

Cool.  Thanks for letting the rest of us have our systems arranged in
what we consider to be a sane manner. :-)

				--*greywolf;
--
                 A _Real_ Operating System for _Real_ Hackers.

                 With many thanks to the core team and UCB CSRG.