Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2000 17:31:25
[ On Tuesday, April 11, 2000 at 10:27:05 (-0600), Rick Kelly wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
> Greg said:
> >As an interesting data point, the SVR4 Unix I used *COULD NOT REBOOT CLEANLY*
> >if /usr was a separate partition.

Actually I didn't say that -- I just quoted it (and I thought I had
given attribution for it, but if not, sorry...).  I think the proper
attribution goes to Peter Seebach.

> I've never heard of such a SVR4, and I think that I've used just about
> all of them, and SVR3/SVR2 before that.

There were indeed some ports of AT&T SysVr4 that didn't boot "cleanly"
if /usr wasn't on the root filesystem.  I seem to remember being
impressed with Amiga Unix in that it could do useful things, including
access the network and maybe even mount NFS partitions, without /usr

							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <>; Secrets of the Weird <>