Subject: Re: pcic
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2000 10:18:47
On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 01:38:10AM -0500, Peter Seebach wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what the pcic stuff means?  This is an attempt to configure
> a ray0.  The system BIOS claims to have reserved 64k of memory at d8000 for
> ISA devices.

The ISA memory hole is an ugly beast that requires some special treatment
sometimes. Also, the pcic code isn't very subtle about using it, it
wants a big, contiguous chunk. I modified the code to not pre-map
the whole range a few days ago, but it turned out that this was
not my problem (I also had some trouble getting a WebGear Aviator
going), so I pushed the code aside. Maybe I'll touch the code up
a bit and will commit it sometime.

Anyway, your problem seems to be that the SCSI BIOS is taking up some
space, and it looks like the PNP BIOS doesn't know about it:

> >PNP0C01 (mem 0-9fbff 9fc00-9ffff e0000-fffff 100000-3ffffff fec00000-fec00fff fee00000-fee00fff fffe0000-ffffffff) at pnpbios0 index 0 ignored

What you should try is:

	1) Disable the SCSI BIOS, you don't need it anyway (unless you
	   want to boot from a SCSI device).
	2) Make sure that the BIOS setting for "ISA mem block base" (or
	   something similarly named) in the BIOS setup isn't set to
	   "automatic", but rather set it to something like 0xd0000,
	   size 64k. Or smaller if you can't set it to that, setting
	   the base to 0xd0000 will usually make sure you have
	   0xd0000-0xe0000. Also, switch off any shadowing of ROM
	   in that range.
	3) Don't try anything below 0xc8000, the space will have been
	   most likely taken up by the VGA card and its BIOS.
	4) Compile pcic to use iomem 0xd0000 iosiz 0x10000

This should make it work. The problem with the ray driver is that
the device wants quite a bit of pcmcia memory (which gets mapped
via ISA iomem). It wants a total of 52k (0xd000). It would be
possible to hack the memory into smaller pieces and set the
memory window to the right range on demand, but I'm not sure
if that's worth the trouble (and it would likely make things
considerably slower).

- Frank