Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/2000 10:27:05
Greg said:
>As an interesting data point, the SVR4 Unix I used *COULD NOT REBOOT CLEANLY*
>if /usr was a separate partition.

I've never heard of such a SVR4, and I think that I've used just about
all of them, and SVR3/SVR2 before that.

>Actually, given that, I still tend to prefer / and /usr separate - mostly
>because of password files.  / can be backed up easily, /usr takes a while
>and doesn't really have data.

Recently, I had to install an NLS development kit on a solaris 2.6
box. Although the installation tool let me think that it was installing
the software where I wanted it to go, it dumped 1 gig of data in /usr/lib
and filled up the partition. If / and /usr had been on the same partition,
the system would have balked as Solaris doesn't like / to be full.

I always keep / and /usr separate. I consider / to be "sacred" as without
it you've got nothing.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com