Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
List: current-users
Date: 04/11/2000 10:25:48
On Mon, 10 Apr 2000, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Sunday, April 9, 2000 at 23:40:19 (+0200), Soren S. Jorvang wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: /etc/rc.d/ runs slowsly
> >
> > On Sun, Apr 09, 2000 at 12:38:48PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> > > 	Slight variation on this - import skill into the base system and
> > > 	use it, maybe with 'skill -0 name'.
> >
> > I think someone was working on adding a kill-by-name option to kill(1).
> > Who was that?
>
> skill is way over-kill, as is a kill-by-name feature.
>
> a normal ps filtered through grep/awk/sed/whatever is more than
> sufficient for creating a list of processes to be killed, either with a
> pmatch() or regexec() in ps or not.

	It may be overkill for this task, but it is a very useful feature
	to have when working on a command line (provided it doesn't
	exhibit the bizarre braindamage I've seen on some redhat systems).

	I believe skill, or killall if you prefer, is in the same class
	as top - its a really handy little tool that makes NetBSD more
	friendly to a random admin. If its done by extending kill and
	making a hardlink then the amount of disk bloat is minimal...

		David/absolute