Subject: Re: Not the standard rc.d complaint
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/2000 23:46:30
Andrew Gillham wrote:

> Greg A. Woods writes:
> >
> > That's one of the annoying things indeed.  Another is if your home
> > directory happens to be an NFS mount and you happen to do the shutdown
> > from there.  Watch out for lots of stupid messages about ignoring NFS
> > errors.
>
> If you are running a diskless NetBSD system, you can't even reboot it
> cleanly under the "New Way", as NFS will completely hang. (this could
> be due to my NFS server being on a different subnet, but regardless
> it should "Just Work")

Argh - let me echo the pain.  Think "I want to run a benchmark in single
user mode":

	root# shutdown now
	[ ... la di da di da ..., but don't really pay attention ]
	Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
	Terminal type? xterm
	# cd /usr/local
	nfs send error 50 for server balrog:/export/netbsd.pmax
	[ Oops, glad I've got ddb configured.  An fsck shouldn't take too long ]

Simon.