Subject: simple editor available for evaluation.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@baea.com.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/2000 23:06:59
Folks,
        After a bit of traffic on this esteemed list some time back, I
decided that writing a simplified editor would be a good way for me to
shake out some bugs in libmenu and provide some sample code of how
libmenu works.  The result is an editor that has some reasonable
features at a on-disk size of less than 80k (some of this bloat is the
online help stuff...)

I have done what I consider to be a first cut of the editor.  It is
available for ftp at:

<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/incoming/blymn/edit.tar.gz>

Unpack this on a -current system and type make.  There is currently no
man page but there is online help available (use the F1 key if you
have one or hit escape, then the left arrow once, hit return twice).

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.  About the rudest thing I
know of at the moment is edit will quit without asking you to save
changes if you tell it to quit so save your changes first!

One problem you will note is that the menu highlighting is stuffed up,
this is a problem with curses that has been fixed in "v3" curses.  At
the moment you will need to watch the cursor carefully to see which
menu item you are at.