Subject: Re: The new rc.d stuff...
To: Secret Asian Man <cchen@nougat.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/2000 21:07:15
Secret Asian Man writes:
> It's just that it would be nice if people actually knew how their system
> worked...

I know how my system works, and I'm much happier typing
	/etc/rc.d/dhcpd restart

than doing
	kill `cat /var/run/dhcpd.pid`
	sh
	. /etc/rc.conf
	dhcpd $dhcpd_flags &
	^D

(because dhcpd_flags might be different on various hosts. e.g, on some
 it may contain "-q ex0", on others it may just be "").

After years of running many large multi-user systems, one doesn't want
to waste time remembering the nitty gritty details on how any given
machine is running. Of course, people running their own unix desktops
often have a different (some would say limited) perspective of these
issues...