Subject: Re: mount question
To: Manuel Bouyer <>
From: Geoff Wing <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/10/2000 04:10:36
Manuel Bouyer wrote about Re: mount question:
:On Sun, Apr 09, 2000 at 01:57:12PM +0000, Geoff Wing wrote:
:> And if it gets corrupted you can get into a situation where it panics,
:> system reboots, fscks, lfs gets mounted, panics within 1 second, repeat .....
:1) I think the bugs causing this behavior have been fixed. I've not run into
:   this for weeks now (but I may just have been lucky).

I had it a couple of weeks ago from an early to mid March build. Died in
lfs_ifind() continuosly.

:2) I've never got LFS corrupted to the point it would panic the system when
:   mounted read-only. This means that if you run in a situation where you
:   need to newfs_lfs it again you should be able to boot single user, mount
:   the fs read-only and backup it (I've always been able to). Not acceptable
:   for a production system, but it is for my own use :)

OK, didn't try this.  I use it for an obj directory which I union mount
over /usr/src, etc. and I'm usually prepared for it to be blown away (since
it's happened several times before).

Geoff Wing : <>     Work URL:
Rxvt Stuff : <>      Ego URL :
Zsh Stuff  : <>       Phone   : (Australia) 0413 431 874